Monday, April 28, 2008

ambition

what did you want to do when you were a child? teacher, doctor. lawyer, policeman, soldier? I'm quite sure most people have an answer although whether they realize their childhood dreams may be another matter all together. and I'm quite sure I have dreamt about me being in the above mentioned professions. however, I've never seem to develop any passion or desire to make those dreams real. historian, linguist, researcher, designer, engineer? these fields of knowledge are indeed interesting and with my current status and field of studies, aerospace engineering, I'm probably heading for one of the latter 3. but I wonder if I'd get bored of it after the 1st year of work, will I have enough to start my own enterprise, cross-track to politics or will I stick to it to the end? I don't have the slightest idea, much less a vague picture of my future.

I've been reading 《论语》 and it says quite a bit about education and work. in 为政第二, a phrase goes like this “君子不器。” it implies that man is not a tool made for a specific purpose, unlike kitchenware (the one made for alcohol cannot contain oil, or the one for vinegar cannot have soy sauce). hence, he should be exposed to all kinds of knowledge, learn all he can and be an all-rounded individual. hmmm...it really sounds like "上知天文,下知地理. 才高八斗,文采风流." now, I feel really dumb...

okay, back to the point. what do I wanna be in the future? I think work is just a source of income to sustain our lives in this modern era. of course it'd be wonderful if it matches one's interest though it may not be the case. but when interest becomes work/job, responsibility and accountability comes in, I believe those are the things that would kill one's passion. so the ideal situation is to have a big fat sum of money, make investments so that you have a nice income even if you don't work and take up a job of your interest. in that way, one would have no fear of being retrenched and, without financial woes, be able to focus on the interest. but that's just...an IDEAL scenario. (somehow it sounds like "working taitais" to me, when the wife works even though the husband gives her a few K every month. but fuck I'm no woman)

I dont know where my trend of thought has gone. blogger just fucked it up...(the above was retyped)

No comments: